Joomla! CMS keeps evolving. Some updates are simply corrective patches to fix security vulnerabilities and others bring new features.
You will find in this chapter the major changes brought to Joomla!:
The version 3.0 of Joomla! is the first version of the Joomla 3 branch. It's a Minor Version which was released in September 2012 and was supported until March 2013. Here are the new featured introduced with this version:
- Responsive Design - Joomla 3 is entirely responsive design, so your site is responsive both in Frontend and in Backend. This means that it can be displayed on any type of device: computer, tablet, smartphones...
- A redesigned administrator interface - Joomla 3 Backend has been completely redesigned. Some users of the previous Joomla! versions might need some time to adjust to this new interface but they will quickly appreciate its increased usability.
- Fast installation in three steps - Now, installing Joomla! consists of three steps, instead of 7 steps for Joomla 2.5.
- Guest user group - Joomla 3 has a new default user group: the Guest user group. This is very useful to display items only to people that are not registered. More information in the Users Management chapter.
- Drag & Drop feature in the item managers - When you sort items by ordering in your item managers (e.g. articles, menus, modules...) you can now sort these items by dragging and dropping.
- Creating and saving blank articles - You can now save blank articles, which can be useful when you want to create many articles for example.
- Item association in the multilingual system - When building a multilingual website with the version 2.5, you could associate menu items. In Joomla 3.0.2, this feature has been extended to the articles and to the categories.
- Installation of language packs when installing Joomla! - Joomla 3.0.2 now allows you to install language packs during the last step of Joomla! installation process.
- Item association extended in the multilingual system - When building a multilingual website with the version 2.5, you could associate menu items. In Joomla 3.0.2, this feature has been extended to the articles and to the categories and in the version 3.0.3, to Contacts, Newsfeeds and Weblinks.
- Tags component - The major change brought to the version 3.1 of Joomla! is the Tags component. See the Tags chapter for more details.
Several new features were introduced in the version 3.2 of Joomla!:
- Content versioning
- An enhanced JUX (Joomla User Experience)
- Frontend Site Configuration
- TinyMCE Update
- Install from Web
- Automatic multilingual site installation
- An improved template manager
- Post Installation Messages
- Micro-data Semantics Library
- Two Factor Authentication
- BCrypt password encryption